Muscles of the Core:
In this blog I am going to explain the muscles of the core, and there is an anatomy quiz to test your knowledge too.
Learning Point 1: The Three Layers
Most people think the core is all about the muscles they can see, but there are actually 3 layers of muscles of the core.
- The deepest layer is made of position sense muscles and make small movements around the spine whilst we do large movements with other muscles
- The middle layer is the inner core unit – these are really important muscles for stability, injury prevention and good posture * You need to know about these for your Level 3 anatomy quiz
- The outside layer is made of superficial muscles, these include the Rectus Abdominus and the Obliques.
Learning Point 2: The inner core unit
The inner core unit is comprised of four key muscles, which you need to know about for your level 3 anatomy and physiology exam.
These muscles include:
- The Diaphragm
- The Pelvic Floor
- The Multifidus
- The Tranversus Abdominus (TVA)
The Inner core unit is key for stability and protecting our spine, ligaments and intervertebral discs.
When the muscles contract they tighten the cylinder which creates a firm column throughout the torso, and relieving pressure from the spine itself.
Top Tip: Know Your Terminology
Make sure you are aware of the following wording, in preparation for your anatomy quiz questions
- Superior = Upper most = Diaphragm
- Inferior = Lowest = Pelvic Floor
- Posterior = Furthest Back = Multifidus
- Anterior = Furthest Forward = TVA
Learning Point 3: The Six Pack
The Rectus Andominus is the official name for the six-pack muscles, and it is a superficial muscle. It is not part of the Inner Core Unit. This muscle is responsible for flexion of the spine, and therefore we use it during exercises like ab crunches.
Anatomy Quiz Question:
Now you know about the muscles of the core, let’s test your knowledge. Simply answer this following question, place your answer in the comments below. The answer can be seen in the video above at minute 6:20.
Pop a comment with your answer below, and then watch the video for the answer.
If you want more mock questions for your Level 3 Anatomy and Physiology exam, then click the link to download 101 mock questions, to help you prepare.
Please leave a comment below telling us which learning point was most helpful. I’m looking forward to reading and replying to your comments below.
If you liked this video make sure you hit like, share with your friends and be sure to subscribe to our Channel.
Thank you for watching
See you on the next video
You can also find us on the following platforms:
YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/2F1Z1bs
This video is here: https://youtu.be/GlOEANPK8z4
Muscles of the Core – Anatomy Quiz, Core, Inner Core Unit, Anatomy Quiz, Anatomy, how to remember the muscles, muscles, Anatomy and Physiology, Anatomy and Physiology Exam Revision, Personal Trainer, six pack, abdominals, rectus abdominus, anatomy of the core, intra abdominal pressure,